Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pineapple Soda

I recently got the ISI Twist and Sparkle, but I have not used it much because I have been so busy. A couple weeks ago I made a Sparkling Lemonade with Rosemary and it was really, really good. It was just lemon juice and zest, sugar, rosemary, salt, and water all mixed together, then carbonated, and then strained. I have never seen pineapple juice carbonated so I wanted to try it out. The flavors of pineapple and dairy go very well together (dulce de leche cheesecake with pineapple, for instance). So I took the flavors from the dessert but modified the texture to turn it into a soda.


First I cut the core out of the pineapple and reserved it for juicing. The core usually goes to waste, but if you juice it you get more of a yield from your product.


Then I caramelized some sugar and added condensed milk, salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest.


I juiced the core of the pineapple and some scraps of the pineapple.


At this point if I was really going to make a refined drink I would have clarified the juice using agar clarification, where you gel your juice, freeze it, wrap it in cheese cloth, and let it thaw. Only the pure liquid will come out of the cheese cloth. Of course if you had a centrifuge you could just put your juice in their. A centrifuge spins at really fast speeds, and forces a a lot of pressure of the liquid separating the juice's parts by density.


Next I blended it all together with my hand immersion blender.


Lastly I put in my ISI Twist and Sparkle and charged it with a CO2 canister. I chilled the drink down before serving. If I had some fresh basil I would have added it to the drink.


No comments:

Post a Comment